Monday, August 01, 2005

I wanna be a Picasso!!! by GY霖




I would like to clarify that it was NEVER my dream to become an artist.

As a child, I wanted to be a scientist. But this is said on behalf of the many whose dreams could never be fulfilled. It is actually an analogy, to bring out the fact that so many of us are never able to fulfill our childhood dreams. Why is that so? I would have to say it's because of this...



Why do I say this the curious mind might ask. Actually, the birth of this post is inspired by a conversation between my mum and I just now. (Who in the world talk to mothers about such topics?) I was helping her do calculations on the e-submissions for her employees when we started to talk about our beloved CPF.

My mum was lamenting how difficult life would be for old people who can't afford medical fees. (I wonder if it was a hint directed at me implicitly) Even with medisave, life would be tough without the support of their children and substantial savings. Besides, I believe medisave does not really pay for the common cold. That is why the government has always emphasized that it is important for us to have savings and plan for our retirement. I have to say the govt is always able to bring ideas across w/o ever having to say so. (I really need to pick up this useful skill).

My mum was commenting on the fact that countries like America and many European countries provide for the elderly and unemployeed. Why can't we be like that? Having studied economics and knowing the benefits of having our self-funded pension scheme (i.e. CPF for us), I tried to convince my mum that it is for the best of the country & economy, that our self-funded scheme is much better. When you provide for the unemployed, it gives them the incentive not to work. It makes slows down the economic progress of the country. I causes high unemployment rate. It's a drain on the country's resources!!!

To all these, my mum simply said this: "I don't feel that I belong to this country. I don't feel that the country cares about us." Hmmmm......

.

.

.

.

.

.

Never thought about it this way....... Really made me think....

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I have to say she's right in some ways. I hate it!!! I hate to admit she's right!!! Argh!!!!

We work our hearts and guts out. We slog day in day out. Though we work for the money and ourselves, we all work for the progress of our country as well right? (I have never felt this way but I'm sure many other non-GYs out there do) Why is it that the US can care for the poor and elderly while ours care about us in another way.(Yah, FUCK CARE) They leave us for the rubbish collectors aka Charitable elderly homes to pick us off the roads/parks/under the bridge.

My train of thoughts did not end there, otherwise there would be no link to my Picasso story right? I realised that we are being forced to work hard for retirement, to have substantial savings for at least a decent burial. Our parents are forced to instill in us the mentality that we would suffer financially if we do not study hard and aim to be a doctor/lawyer/banker. Learing art or music is good but it will never bring us far. We can never have a good life. You will not have a wife, have an apartment to your name, have a car. It's a total brainwash right from the beginning cos the govt is telling us that we will suffer a life worse than hell if we don't slog our brains out.

It's a known fact that our people thnik too much in the box, that we are too boring, that we lack creativity. Have it ever occured to anyone that we are like this because of our education system, our upbringing and most importantly the CPF? Our beloved CPF is constantly reminding us that we can never stop working to pursue our dreams. We simply cannot choose the path of an artist or poet or street performer or professional sportsman because we cannot afford to fail. If we fail, we will end up having to fend for ourselves cos our govt does not support the unemployed or sick old people. Isn't it abit sad?

A lot of avenues are now closed to us as we cannot afford failure. Although the government is encouraging people to be more creative and have entrepreneurial spirit, I cannot but feel that it's very much directed at start-ups and for the sake of economic development. Do they really care about our personal development? Have you ever heard of the saying that there is nothing more cruel than to shatter the hopes of an innocent child?

I just cannot help but wonder if I could have become an Albert Einstein if I had been born elsewhere.

No comments: