Thursday, May 24, 2007

So this is it ... like you said it would be ...

A story to share.

It was the final day of the Premiership. Sheffield United went into it 3 points clear of Wigan and looks likely to secure safety.

They however lost 2-1 in front of their home fans, in a match which their striker missed an open goal by hitting the post.

Immediately after the game, Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock walked towards Paul Jewell and shook his hand to offer congrats.

5 minutes after the end of the game, he braced himself for the press and said this,

"There are a lot of things that are worse than this in life, although at this point it does not feel so"

This is almost exactly what I want to feel now. Defeat was bitter. But yes, there are worse things in life.

After all, we had to get this far to get this disappointed. The scumbags from Manchester did not even make it here, nor did the pretenders from West London.

Oh by the way, I had a good time tonight. Wasn't as magical as 2005, but non-magical nights like this make me treasure magical nights even more.

For tonight, I saw the beauty of defeat. I have never seen so many grown men weep openly in a pub. I have never seen more inconsolable ladies gathered at one venue. I have never had more pats on my shoulders as I prodded quickly to the exits after a match.

PS: My thoughts are with the McCanns. Hope Maddy is alive and safe.

No comments: